I always like to try something new so I’m not stuck in the rut making the same stuff over and over. The problem with our friends is everyone has a different favorite and if we come over I have to make that one dish. So I make that dish and then make something else in hopes to steer them in a new direction. For this 4th of July I decided instead of apple pie I looked for something new. So what’s All-American like apple pie? Root beer! I love root beer and root beer floats are yummy for kids and adults full of flavor. So I did a search for root beer cakes and came across YumSugar. As soon as I saw the picture my mouth watered and I knew I had to try it. I didn’t use the liquor I kept it simple and used regular rootbeer.
Root Beer Float Cakes
4 cups confectioners sugar
*for a more kid friendly version, replace schnapps with more root beer
You will also need some extra root beer schnapps (1 Tbs. per cupcake)
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. In a bowl, mix together root beer schnapps, root beer, and vanilla extract. Set aside.
4. Add eggs, mix until smooth
5. Sift in flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
6. Mix with hand mixer on low, while slowly pouring in root beer mixture.
7. Mix until smooth and lump free.
8. Pour into lined cupcake pan. (Use foil cupcake liners to avoid “leakage” later.) Fill nearly to the top, you may think its over-filled, but it puffs up perfectly this way. Don’t be tempted to use more than 24 cupcake cups… trust me.
10. While cupcakes are baking, prepare your butter cream and root beer glaze. For glaze, put all ingredients into a bowl and mix with a wisk until smooth and lump free.
11. To assemble, start by letting cupcakes cool, still in the pan.
12. While still slightly warm, pour 1 Tbs. of root beer schnapps over each cupcake. Pour on slowly to allow schnapps ( or regular root beer for the kiddies) to soak in.